Light emitting diode (LED) lights are changing the way homeowners illuminate their back yards. These compact, affordable and energy-efficient lights are so versatile, they can be used for everything from fixed patio lighting to whimsical hanging lights. How you use LED lighting in your yard is really only limited by your imagination.
10 ways LED lights can enhance your outdoor spaces
1. To illuminate a patio or deck. One of the most useful things you can do with LED lights outdoors is to light up your patio or deck. Use these lights underneath the railing, atop the posts or wrapped around the individual rails to add a little sparkle and a lot of romance to your back yard.
2. To lead the way to a secret garden. Do you have a portion of your garden that’s tucked away in a corner of your property, a space where you go to get away from household stress? LED lights can be used to mark the way.
3. To highlight your landscaping. Wrapping LED lights around the trunks and limbs of your trees can create an after dark wonderland in your back yard. Such lights can also be used to highlight your favorite flowers or shrubs.
4. To create whimsical overhead lighting. LED lights can be strung overhead, inserted into mason jars or wine bottles or hung inside of paper lanterns for fun and exotic overhead lighting.
5. To keep your pathways safe in the dark. Relaxing outdoor after dark is peaceful and romantic. However, you still want to be able to see the pathways that wind through your garden. LED lights can mark the path without ruining the evening solace.
6. To light up steps. Downward shining LED lights can help illuminate your outdoor steps and keep them safe without marring the charm of the evening darkness.
7. To decorate your trees for the holidays. LED lights can transform your evergreen trees into outdoor Christmas trees. Use small white lights or multi-colored globes.
8. To back-light your house numbers. Help your guests find your house easily by installing LED lights behind your (raised) house numbers. The low-wattage, subtle lights will not only make it easier for your visitors to find you, but they will also add to your curb appeal.
9. To make your pool sparkle. Some LED lights can also go underwater to create a magical soft-lighted swimming pool.
10. To get a little crazy with your design. No one said that all outdoor lighting has to be white. In fact, LED lights come in a variety of hues, from neon blue to sea green to hot pink. If you’ve always wanted your back yard entertainment area to look like a cruise ship or a dance club, these lights can give you that effect.
LED lighting offers many benefits. These lights can adapt to most any space, are affordable and are energy efficient. If you haven’t worked a few LED lights into your yard, take a minute to find a place to tuck in a few of these lights.